Monday, January 31, 2011

Within White Fences

As if I didn't already have enough going on in my life, I was asked by one of my friends David Murakami if I would DP his film. This dude knows his stuff, so I was more than happy to help him on his project. A few weeks later he sent the script out. Wow! Talk about ambitious. I have no doubt that David will put it off, but wow! Let's just say one of the scenes calls for a car crashing into a limo. I'm excited though to get the ball rolling.

To give you an idea of the caliber of David's films, give this a watch. Take into account most of these sidewalks were not empty when they filmed the scene.



This past weekend we had our first shoot. The scene followed the "hitman" character waiting at a bus stop. To say that the lighting conditions were horrendous would be an understatement. We had to rely solely on the one streetlight from across the street and the occasional passing headlights from oncoming traffic. It's times like these when I'm glad I traded in my HVX200 for a Canon 5D. I shot the entire scene at ISO 2500, 1/30th, and f/1.4. Talk about extremes. The final image is a tad grainy, but it has an almost gritty, urban feel to it.

Here are a few screen grabs from the footage.

Film still from "Within White Fences"

Our Hitman...

I'm very much looking forward to working with the very talented cast and crew of "Within White Fences" in the oncoming weeks!

No comments: