Wednesday, October 31, 2012

First Ink.

When coming up with an idea for a tattoo, there's a lot to consider. For me, I've been considering a few tattoo ideas for awhile now. One being the word "smile" across the inside of my right index finger. This way when I take photos or video, my subject will be able to see the text. Not an original idea, but something I think is very clever. The other idea is a bit more unique. There's a caricature of the Michelin man that one of my favorite artists KAWS designed. This is one I would get on the inside of my upper arm. I've never seen anyone else with this design on their bodies.

Nick, one of my friends from work, asked me if I wanted to go with him to get his next tattoo. Of course. I would never pass down an opportunity to be part of a big event like that. I figured if Nick was going to get a tattoo, maybe this would be a good opportunity for my to get my first piece. I called the tattoo shop Lucky Stars and they said they could fit me in right after Nick.

The day came and there were lots of feelings floating around my head. Nervousness. Fear. Excitement. I got to watch Nick get his tattoo first. This was helpful because I could see the entire process from start to finish. Nick's took about an hour total and turned out absolutely amazing. He got a piece done by local Bay Area artist Huck Gee.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Next was my turn. I was ready. After going back and forth between the two ideas I had, I finally decided on the KAWS tattoo. The tattoo artist said the inner arm would hurt less than the finger.

To say it didn't hurt would be a lie. It is painful, but it's a bearable pain. After a few minutes, your arm just gets numb. An hour later I was all done and they wrapped it up. The artist Joe did a great job.

Untitled

Chummy

When people say tattoos are addictive I see why. I would love to get another one. Not any time soon, but when I have another good idea for one I'll be ready. For now, I'll enjoy the one I have.

No comments: