Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thoughts on Social Networking.

It's been awhile since I've updated my blog. Blogs and I just do not "clink" (as my 10 year old brother would put it). It's been a very eventful summer and part of me wishes I had recorded every event so that I wouldn't forget all the fun things I've done and all the friends I've made. The other part of me fears that if I get too caught up in the digital social networking craze, then I will do things to write/blog about them rather then do them just because I want to. As the days pass, I seem to entangle myself deeper and deeper into this mess of online networking sites (i.e. facebook, youtube, flickr, myspace, twitter, etc.). Sometimes I read my own posts and think to myself does anyone actually care, and more than not I answer "probably not." I've thought long and hard about what causes me to constantly update my statuses, pictures, videos, etc., and I've come to the conclusion: I do it for myself. These sites for me are simply a data log of my everyday occurrences. To go back ten years from now and read old facebook posts is a way for me to hold on to memories. I wouldn't be surprised if 50 years from now, our grandkids were checking our facebooks to see the interesting lives we've lived. A virtual diary log that will live on forever in this digital infrastructure we call the web. Like all things, many people abuse social networking sites by notifying the world about every meal, bathroom break, and TV show/movie watched, myself included. In the end, it all boils down to "why." I do it for me and no one else.

Sincerely,
Doug Smith

No comments: