Saturday, June 20, 2009

Playing on the Horror Genre.

Everyone has to make one horror film during the course of their filmmaking careers... right?

Sometimes I just need an excuse to shoot something. I found some really cool creepy songs online, and figured that these would be perfect for a horror film. Now one thing I hate about filmmaking: actually coming up with the idea. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting films, I just hate thinking up the films. Nowadays everyone wants to see something new, edgy, and controversial, but that's becoming harder and harder by the day. Regardless, what I'm trying to say is don't expect gold. This film is a string of "pretty" shots that just so happen to tell a simplistic and trivial story. If you don't enjoy the film for its content appeal then hopefully you will at least appreciate the cinematography/lighting. I also worked to try and utilize my dolly and slider for those slow punch ins to draw out suspense and create uneasiness.

Please enjoy my latest film "Welcome Home"



Those of you that have seen Sculpey the Slug may enjoy this



Also, this summer, I got few more film toys to play with. The one thing I'm most excited about is my three foot Indifocus Indie Slider Pro. This device acts as a sort of mini-dolly that can be placed on a tripod head. This allows a quick setup for simple dolly/movement shots. Another plus about the slider is the fact that it has different resistance settings so you can get that really consistent smooth dolly look that we've all seen in Hollywood films. My only qualm with the slider (and this may be related to my tripod) is when the camera is fully extended to one end of the slider, there is a bit of sag. I'm sure with bigger beefier tripods, this would not be a problem. My 501 HDV head really does not like the added weight. But for now I will use the slider in moderation or when doing quick ground dollies, which by the way looks amazing. Regardless, I'm very happy with the slider. Yet another weapon to add to the arsenal of filmmaking tools in my possession.



Here's a quick test of a few shots I got with the Indie Slider. Enjoy!

"Pancakes and Death"

No comments: